What to Wear: Graduation Edition

type='html'>


As Hijab's we've become pretty snazzy at 'hijabifying' fashion trends and styles. Whether it is dressing up for going out, work, school, parties and even our own weddings, I have to say we've made it work. But there is one event, that I still find difficult today... GRADUATION! Alhamdulilah I am graduating in less then 2 weeks with my Masters and even though it is my 3rd graduation ceremony, it is still so difficult to come up with an outfit! It's just honestly so hard to work with that cap and gown. Usually I get inspiration from runways and celebrities since modesty is in lately but with graduation everyone just wears a short dress or skirt. Anyways as I struggle to make my own outfit, I am going to try to help everyone else too. There are many ways of doing this but these are the following tips that I think will help us look our best!


Tip # 1: Pick a Neutral Hijab Color
First thing first, Hijab! When choosing your outfit first look at the color of your gown. If you have black (like me) consider yourself super lucky. We all love black and it gives you a lot more options with your outfit if you have a black gown. If you don't, it's okay! We'll make it work. Anyways, for hijab I suggest choosing a neutral color such as black, white, nude or taupe. If you have a colored gown, I would say go with black! Some subtle floral prints may work, but the safe choice is definitely black. If you do have black like me, you can definitely take more risks with different colored hijabs but still keep it simple. I made the mistake of wearing a red hijab on my golden gown in high school...and let's just say my nickname was McDonald for a while!

Tip # 2: Don't Volumize your Hijab
I know we all love this trend, believe me I do too. But graduation is not the place to do it. The hat is already difficult as it is to wear and it just does not look good with a huge bun. I usually wear a volumizer scrunchie but definitely wont be for graduation. When putting on the cap on your hijab, make sure the front of it isn't resting on your forehead but more tilted back. I also suggest wearing an underpiece so your hijab is not constantly moving around. And lastly, utilize those hijab straight pins to keep your hat in place!

Tip # 3: Simplicity over Flash
Keep it simple! The key to a graduation outfit is simplicity. This isn't a wedding or your actual graduation party. It is a semi formal event to celebrate your degree! Also, remember you'll have your gown on most of the time anyway. I would say stick with light colors like pastels, neutrals and simple prints like florals and stripes. Also when picking an outfit, keep the hijab tips in mind. Although an outfit may look cute with a red hijab but it definitely won't if your gown is some funky color. Keep your hijab in mind! If you do decide to go with a floral hijab, make sure the outfit consists of only neutrals. Don't have too much going on. The gown sometimes has many colors on it and you'll just end up looking like a rainbow.

Tip # 4: Dress Light
Make sure to dress light. Don't wear too many layers. I would suggest just wearing one underneath. I know we love cardigans and blazers and all but for your top get a full sleeves blouse, shirt or dress. Even if it is inside, it can get pretty hot in these gowns. For bottoms, I would suggest skinny's or loose pants. The gown already is a lot of fabric and you don't want a dress or skirt making it more complicated. Whenever I wear a dress or skirt, I always trip going up the stairs. That is something you want to AVOID during graduation. So dress light with minimal fabric as possible.

Tip # 5: Wear Comfortable Shoes
Do NOT wear super high heels. I know heels look better so as an alternative I suggest wedges or short heels so you are comfortable but still look cute. My absolute fear is tripping while walking to or up to the stage while getting my degree. I'm clumsy as it is, I don't need something else making me trip. If your graduation is outside make sure to wear wedges, platform heels or even flats. Otherwise you'll constantly be getting stuck in the grass!


Here are some outfit inspirations from myself and others :)
Look 1

Pants: Forever 21 // Top: Forever 21 // Sandals: Forever 21 // Necklace: H&M
Look 2
Dress: Dor L' Dor // Necklace: Forever 21 // Scarf: Ebay
Look 3
Pants: H&M // Sweater&Shoes: Forever 21 // Scarf&Necklace: Zara // Bag: Aldo

I hope that helps. I'm still trying to decide what I want to wear but will be a combination of the above picture. If you have other requests for what to wear at a specific event, comment below!
with love,
sania :)

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : What to Wear: Graduation Edition

0 komentar:

Post a Comment